This Brunswick stew is made with shredded pork, lima beans, and veggies in a wealthy, candy, and tangy tomato-based broth with BBQ sauce blended into it. It’s consolation meals at its finest!
Brunswick Stew is a standard Southern dish that’s hearty and flavorful, usually made in massive portions for group gatherings. The stew is cooked slowly, permitting the flavors to meld collectively and the meats to develop into very tender.
Why We Love This Brunswick Stew Recipe
- Hearty. Filled with pork and veggies, Brunswick stew is the final word consolation meals for cold days.
- Nice for leftovers. This dish tastes even higher the following day because the flavors proceed to stew collectively. Plus, it reheats effectively, making it good for meal prep in your busiest weeks.
- Customizable. You may simply customise the recipe to fit your tastes. Use a spicy BBQ sauce, add additional veggies, and check out hen as a substitute of pork.
What Is Brunswick Stew?
Brunswick stew is a hearty, conventional Southern stew loaded with meat, usually pork, veggies, and lima beans in a tangy tomato-based broth. One enjoyable attribute of this warming stew is that it often has BBQ sauce in it, which provides an exquisite tang and a notice of sweetness. Uniquely scrumptious and filling, I can’t get sufficient of it.
Brunswick Stew Elements
- For the Pulled Pork: canola oil, pork shoulder (or pork butt), bbq sauce, and water.
- For the Stew: butter, yellow onion, salt, pepper, garlic, canned fire-roasted tomatoes, frozen or canned lima beans, canned corn, bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and hen inventory.
Tips on how to Make Brunswick Stew
- Make the pulled pork. Flip the On the spot Pot to saute and brown the pork on all sides. Whisk collectively the BBQ sauce and water and pour it over the pork. Prepare dinner on excessive strain for 1 hour, adopted by a pure launch. It’s also possible to cook dinner the pork within the Gradual Cooker for 8 hours on Low.
- Shred. Switch the pork to a chopping board and shred it with a fork.
- Sauté the veggies. Soften the butter in a big soup pot. Add the onion, season with salt, and sauté till translucent. Add the garlic and sauté till aromatic.
- Put all of it collectively. Stir within the tomatoes, lima beans, corn, hen inventory, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, and hen inventory.
- Prepare dinner. Carry the stew to a boil after which all the way down to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the pork. Stir within the pulled pork.
- Season. Season with salt and pepper to style. Serve.
Recipe Suggestions And Variations
- Meats in Brunswick Stew: Pulled pork is a typical ingredient, however different meats, corresponding to hen and floor beef or beef brisket, are additionally glorious decisions.
- Gradual cooker methodology: If you happen to don’t wish to use the On the spot Pot, cook dinner the pork within the sluggish cooker. Safe the lid and cook dinner on Excessive for five to six hours or on Low for 8 to 10 hours or till the pork is tender and simply falls aside with a fork.
- Brown the pork. Browning the meat offers it a deeper taste.
- Be picky with BBQ sauce. The BBQ sauce that goes into this stew will impression the general taste. So be sure to choose one you actually like.
- Regulate the sweetness. Variations of this recipe name for brown sugar. I skip it as a result of I discover that the sweetness from the BBQ sauce is sufficient, however if you need a sweeter stew, add a bit brown sugar to style.
- Consistency. Add additional broth to the stew when you like a thinner, soupier consistency.
- Thicken. To thicken the stew, make a slurry of cornstarch and water and whisk it in whereas the stew simmers.
Seize a slice of this Mild Skillet Cornbread, or attempt my crusty No Knead Skillet Olive Bread. A bit of this Focaccia Bread can also be glorious, however go the Southern route and make my Skillet Biscuits with Garlic-Basil Olives. To interrupt up the richness of this hearty stew, a contemporary Inexperienced Goddess Salad would completely work, in addition to a Basic Waldorf Salad or my Radish Cucumber Tomato Salad.
Tips on how to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Fridge. Enable the stew to chill utterly earlier than sealing it in an hermetic container. You may retailer it within the fridge for as much as 4 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Enable the stew to thaw within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- To reheat. Switch the leftovers to a pot and warmth over medium-low warmth till heat.
Extra Stew Recipes To Strive
Make the pulled pork
Brown the pork. Set the On the spot Pot to sauté. As soon as the basin of the On the spot Pot is scorching, add the oil. Sear the pork on all sides till browned. Flip off the sauté operate and go away the pork within the pot.
Load the strain cooker. Whisk collectively the BBQ sauce and water and pour it over the pork.
Prepare dinner. Shut the lid and cook dinner on excessive strain for 1 hour whilst you make the stew. Let the strain naturally launch utterly.
Shred. As soon as the strain has launched by itself, take away the lid of the On the spot Pot, switch the pork to a chopping board (discard the cooking liquid left behind), and shred it with a fork. Put aside.
Make the stew
Sauté the veggies. Soften the butter over medium warmth in a big soup pot. Add the onion, season with salt, and sauté for 4 minutes or till translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 15 seconds or till aromatic.
Make the broth. Stir within the tomatoes, lima beans, corn, hen inventory, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, and hen inventory.
Prepare dinner. Enhance the warmth to medium-high, carry the stew to a boil, after which scale back the warmth to low. Simmer for 20 minutes earlier than stirring within the pulled pork.
Season. Season with salt and pepper to style.
Serve. Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Brown the pork first to reinforce its taste; this step actually brings out a richer style within the meat.
- Use the sluggish cooker when you’re not utilizing an On the spot Pot; place the pork inside, cowl, and let it cook dinner on HIGH for five to six hours or on LOW for 8 to 10 hours till the pork is comfortable and effortlessly shreds with a fork.
- Choose your BBQ sauce rigorously, as its taste will considerably affect the stew’s general style. Guarantee it’s a model or sort that you simply take pleasure in.
- You may modify the extent of sweetness within the recipe in accordance with what you like. Whereas I often omit brown sugar as a result of the BBQ sauce offers sufficient sweetness, you’ll be able to add some when you choose a sweeter style.
- If you happen to choose your stew to be extra broth-based, don’t hesitate so as to add extra broth till you obtain the specified consistency.
- To thicken the stew, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons chilly water till easy to create a slurry, after which stir it into the simmering stew.
- To retailer, settle down the stew earlier than inserting it in a sealed container and maintain it within the fridge for as much as 4 days, or it may be frozen for 3 months. Thaw it within the fridge while you’re able to take pleasure in it once more. To reheat the stew, gently heat the stew over medium-low warmth till heated by way of.
Energy: 479 kcal | Carbohydrates: 63 g | Protein: 23 g | Fats: 16 g | Saturated Fats: 5 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 7 g | Trans Fats: 0.2 g | Ldl cholesterol: 61 mg | Sodium: 1514 mg | Potassium: 892 mg | Fiber: 6 g | Sugar: 32 g | Vitamin A: 1006 IU | Vitamin C: 12 mg | Calcium: 97 mg | Iron: 4 mg
Dietary information is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values might fluctuate in accordance with the substances and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.