Discover ways to make one of the best mashed potatoes with this straightforward recipe! Wealthy, creamy, and flavorful, they’re at all times a crowd-pleasing aspect dish.
I can’t share a mashed potatoes recipe with out mentioning my husband Jack. He LOVES do-it-yourself mashed potatoes, particularly ones which might be wealthy, creamy, and flavorful.
I’ve made lots that he’s preferred previously (see these garlic mashed potatoes and these Instantaneous Pot mashed potatoes). However this 12 months, I lastly made the potatoes he’d been ready for: ones loaded up with butter, milk, and bitter cream.
I’m not kidding after I say that these are one of the best mashed potatoes I’ve tried. They’re ultra-rich and blissfully creamy, and the bitter cream offers them a scrumptious tangy kick. They’re straightforward to make (and make forward!), and so they’re assured to be a crowd pleaser at Thanksgiving or any meal. If not from me, then take it from Jack—you’re going to like this mashed potatoes recipe.
Find out how to Make Mashed Potatoes
You could find the whole recipe with measurements on the backside of this publish, however for now, I’ll provide you with an outline of the way it goes:
This traditional recipe begins with 7 easy substances:
- Potatoes, after all! 3 kilos yields sufficient for about 8 folks. Double the recipe if you happen to’re serving extra!
- Garlic – For savory depth of taste.
- Unsalted butter – For richness and buttery taste.
- Milk – It smooths the starchy potatoes into an extremely creamy mash. Use entire milk for the creamiest outcomes.
- Bitter cream – Technically, this ingredient is optionally available. If you happen to skip it, the recipe will nonetheless come out nice. However for one of the best mashed potatoes, I extremely suggest folding it in! It makes the taters extra-creamy and offers them a tangy style.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
What are one of the best potatoes for mashed potatoes?
I feel Yukon Golds and russets are one of the best potatoes for mashing.
- Yukon Gold potatoes are thin-skinned yellow potatoes. I like to mash them as a result of they’ve a creamy texture, wealthy golden shade, and buttery taste.
- Russet potatoes are white potatoes which might be excessive in pure starches. Because of all that starch, they yield fluffy mashed potatoes.
Be happy to make this recipe with both of some of these potatoes.
An alternative choice I like is to make use of a mixture of each varieties. The russets assist with fluffiness and the Yukon Golds provide nice taste. It’s a mix that may’t be beat!
My technique for learn how to make mashed potatoes couldn’t be easier! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, peel and chop the potatoes. Minimize them into massive chunks—halve smaller Yukon Golds and lower bigger russets into quarters or sixths. Do your greatest to chop the items to a constant dimension in order that they cook dinner evenly.
Subsequent, cook dinner. Place the potatoes and garlic in a big pot and canopy with chilly water by 1 inch. Add a tablespoon of salt, and produce the water to a boil over excessive warmth. Scale back the warmth to medium and gently boil till the potatoes are fork-tender.
How Lengthy to Boil Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes
Once I make this recipe, I usually boil the potatoes for 15 to twenty minutes.
However the timing can differ! The potatoes are prepared when you possibly can simply pierce them with a fork. Keep away from undercooking them. In the event that they’re nonetheless agency within the middle, you’ll find yourself with lumpy mashed potatoes!
When the potatoes are tender, drain them right into a colander. Frivolously shake to take away extra water, and return the potatoes to the pot.
Lastly, mash! Use a potato masher to partially mash the potatoes. Then, pour within the milk and add the butter, salt, and pepper. Proceed mashing till the potatoes have attain your required consistency (we like them completely clean!). If desired, use a picket spoon or spatula to stir within the bitter cream.
Season to style, including extra butter, bitter cream, and salt and pepper as wanted. Take pleasure in!
Don’t neglect the fixings! We love these potatoes with butter, chives, and salt and pepper on high. You possibly can’t go incorrect with mushroom gravy both.
Find out how to Retailer Mashed Potatoes
These mashed potatoes hold nicely in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
You could have a couple of choices for reheating them:
- Within the microwave – Microwave till heated by means of, stirring each 2 minutes.
- Within the oven – Switch the potatoes to a casserole dish or oven-safe pan. Dot the highest with butter and canopy. Heat in a 350°F oven till heated by means of, 25 minutes or extra relying on the scale and form of your baking dish.
I’ve additionally had success reheating these mashed potatoes utilizing the Preserve Heat setting of my Instantaneous Pot. A sluggish cooker would work nicely too!
If the potatoes appear dry after reheating, stir in some melted butter or a splash of milk to loosen them up.
Extra Favourite Potato Recipes
If you happen to love these do-it-yourself mashed potatoes, strive one in all these potato recipes subsequent:
Finest Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 kilos potatoes, russet potatoes, Yukon Golds, or a combination, peeled and lower into massive chunks
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup unsalted butter, 1 stick, plus extra for serving
- 1 cup entire milk
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt, plus extra for the cooking water
- Freshly floor black pepper
- ¼ to ½ cup bitter cream, optionally available
- Chopped recent chives, for garnish
Stop your display from going darkish
Place the potatoes and garlic in a big pot and canopy with chilly water by 1 inch. Season the water with a tablespoon of salt.
Carry the water to a boil over excessive warmth, then cut back the warmth to medium and gently boil for 15 to twenty minutes, or till the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and return to the pot.
Start to mash the potatoes and garlic with a potato masher. When they’re partially mashed, add the butter, milk, salt, and a number of other grinds of pepper. Persevering with mashing till the potatoes attain your required consistency (we like them completely clean), then use a spatula or picket spoon to fold within the bitter cream, if utilizing.
Season to style and serve topped with butter and chives.